Saturday, August 30, 2008

How much further? Part Deux

...Okay, I haven't seen Karen for about 30 minutes and my water situation is dire. I decided to flag down a car and asked if they had any to spare. They were very kind after giving me the "I can't believe your biking this road look". After thanking them profusely, I continued with my quest. I finally catch up to Karen, she had other ideas on filling the water bottles. Now getting to this water source was not quite as easy as the photo makes it look. Thanks Karen. We now not only have water, we have ice cold glacier water. Who cares about micro bacterial infection? With all water bottle filled we are on the road again.



About 15 minutes later our paths crossed with a Park Ranger. It was around 1:00. He informed both Karen and I that we would have to go back to the last pocket in the road and wait there until 4:00. Well, at the break neck speed we were traveling, that would have gotten us to Logan Pass around midnight. So being the law abiding citizens that we are, we both responded,"Yes Sir" at the exact same time. I mean come on, it's not like he could turn around in an extra lane or pull over on the non existing shoulder to see that we followed his orders. Trust me when I tell you that at this stage in the game, backtracking was not an option. We waited until he turned the next corner, and pushed forward.
Now along "GTTS" Highway there were some amazing sites. As Karen liked to say, "We saw that particular strip of highway like no one ever has". Every point of interest became an excuse to stop and catch our breath. As we got closer to the top the mountain goats became more numerous. We also got our photo taken in front of what remained of an existing glacier.

I'm telling you I hated leaving the glacier. It was a welcome relief from the relentless
afternoon sun. We are now about 1.5 miles from the top of Logan Pass. I have now gotten to the point where the drop to my right is more than my psyche can stand, so decide to walk. I know, I've only got 1.5 miles left, but believe me when I tell you it was the SAFE decision. You can see from the photo that not only is there no shoulder, but there is no guard rail. What you can't see is how far the fall would have been. I do not regret my desicion, and because of it you have the pleasure of reading about it. We are almost there. Stay Tuned......

No comments: