Sunday, August 31, 2008

Top of the Mountain.

If you have just started reading this vacation blog, it's best if you start at the beginning.

... So we now have .5 mile to go. I thought a photo at this point was important because we both can still stand.
Before we made it to the top, a truck full of guys yelled encouraging words, "It's(the top) just around the corner", I called back, "so is Christmas". My mood was souring. WE MADE IT. This photo will now become a mural in my living room. Yep, over the Continental Divide, 6600 ft. No wonder it was hard to catch my breath. We took a break here just to take it all in. I checked out the gift center for postcards, Karen opted to inhale the view instead. She made the right decision. The gift shop was up about 30 steps, and my legs felt each one of them. Uuuggh. After Logan Pass we still had 24 miles to ride to get to the nice hot shower and soft cushy beds that would envelop us that night. The good news is the comfort in the knowledge that what goes up, must come down. Yep, it took us around 7 hours to make it to the top of the mountain and 25 minutes to get down, another 30 minutes to cover the flat ground and we were in Rising Sun at our cozy little cottage. Thank you Baby Jesus.
After showering, changing and downing a handful of Advil we headed out for dinner. From dinner we walked to St. Mary's Lake and took a boat tour. Thank heaven, all we had to do was sit and listen to the facts. I don't think I would have been good for mch more than that. The mountain is now behind us. It should be smooth biking from here on out.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Absolutey breathtaking! Congratulations on making it!

The Gunning Family said...

This absolutely amazing! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more ...

Donna