Monday, September 8, 2008

The Biggest in the World

Now, I don't care where I am or what I'm doing, whenever I see a sign that brags "The biggest in the World" , I am going to stop. I don't care if it's the biggest frying pan, in RoseHill, NC or the biggest clam in Pismo Beach, CA, I'm stopping. I don't even like clams, but I'm stopping. I mean, come on, it's the Biggest in the World. Well low and behold, the biggest truck in the world is in Sparwood, BC and I'm riding my bike right past it. We also decide to stop and have lunch here, what a find!
And so, as we hit the parking lot Karen asks around for prospective rides into Fernie. All the qualified vehicles were going in the opposite direction. When we went into the restaurant there happen to be a bike outfit, "Bicycling Adventures" that could have very easily thrown our bikes on their van and taken us to Fernie.
Go figure, the people whose bikes they carry, pay to have them do so. The leader asked why we didn't just ride. Don't you just hate biking elitist. He obviously didn't know I left Clooney at home.
Anyway, after a great grilled cheese panini and cold drink, who should walk through the restaurant door, but Maine to Vancouver. He stopped to talk for a bit and I found out his name was George. We headed out as he finished his lunch, only to run into him again at the Fernie Information Center. He opted to stay at the same Youth Hostel we were staying, instead of camping. We enjoyed dinner together, sharing biking stories and making a new friend.

No comments: