Monday, September 8, 2008

What's In A Name?

On yesterday's ride, we met a fellow biker. Karen and I were taking a break from the sun, under an underpass. As we were downing a gallon of water and our 2nd dose of Advil du jour, we saw what we thought was a Vespa or a Scooter of some sort approaching us. We figured we'd wait until they passed and then continue on. As he got closer we saw that it was actually another biker with gear on both front wheels and back, probably about 70 pounds. Uuugghh. What I found most interesting is when he stopped to talk it was about where he and we had been. No names were ever exchanged. He started in Maine and was headed to Vancouver. From there he was going to see a daughter in Seattle, then onto New Mexico. I know, sorta makes my whining insignificant. I began to realize everyone that we had met along the way was only a destination. No one, including myself had exchanged a name.

No comments: