Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Critics Corner

Last Friday night, I joined Kris, Brian and Donna at Spaulding High School to see Ryan in Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night". I don't know what a wise decision Shakespeare is for any high school troop. It usually takes an audiences' ear awhile to tune in to Old English, the malfunction of the actors microphones did not help. Now this was opening night, so it just took some fine tuning to get things running smoothly. I say all this as a critic, not as an aunt or Godmother.
Ryan was fantastic. She had one of the lead roles, Viola, and I think carried the play. I think it's important to know what you are saying, whether it be in Shakespearean time or modern time. Ryan had a grasp on everything she said, and because of it she added facial expressions and body language that really made you feel what she was feeling. Some of the other players did a nice job. There were two guys in their early entrance that had no idea what they were saying. Their dialogue was obviously just memorized, they did however loosen up as the production unfolded. All in all it was a very nice performance. I'm sorry there are no photos to accompany this entry, but just like Broadway, No Flash Allowed. Believe me when I tell you Ryan was stunning. Donna got some photos after the show, so I'm sure you'll get to see her on Donna's blog.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You actually followed the rule of "no flash allowed?" What's wrong with you?

The Gunning Family said...

Thanks - we are a bit biased, but think Ryan did a fantastic job! We are so proud...oh, and Meghan did get some sans flash photos on Sunday - we'll be sure to post those!