Monday, November 24, 2008

Tail to Nose Ride

My friend Karen belongs to Washington Women Outdoors. It's an organization that does all sorts of really neat out doorsy stuff. Well last Sunday she asked me if I would like to go horseback riding with her and the group. Well being the horse person I am I jumped at the chance, little did I know it was in West Virginia. Now I am not against driving 2 hours, but there are plenty of riding stables 5-10 minutes away in Davidsonville. So off we go....
I am the first to admit I am NOT a cold weather person. My nose not only looks as if I use Rudolph's make up, it runs non stop. I will have fun, I will have fun. We finally get to the stable.

I have brought some apples for the horses, but can only feed the one that aren't saddled up. So here I am with Sequoia, not my horse.
You all need to know that for this fun 20 degree day I have 8 layers on under that sweater(from Ireland). Under my jeans I not only have on tights, but leggings and long johns. Have I mentioned I hate being cold. Okay, so I'm moving like the Michelin Man, how the hell am I going to get on my horse? Well did you see Amazing Race this week, picture the goof marching with the Russian troops getting on a horse. Luckily my horse was next to a fence so I had a sorta step ladder. Well they call out the horses name and inform us that this is the order we must stay in. No getting out of formation. Uuuggh. Not only have I driven 2 hours to ride in 20 degrees, there will be no running or skipping. Ho hum. For the first 10, okay 5 minutes it was great to be back on a horse, but when it's cold and grey out in the woods everything looks the same. Oh! I'm sorry. IT WAS THE SAME. We went around in 2 big circles for an hour and a half. About 30 minutes into it I couldn't feel my toes or fingers. I am not having fun. It gets better, it starts to rain. The only thing worse than being cold, is being cold and wet. It was a quiet ride home.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Perhaps next time Karens outdoor club will travel to Hawaii and you can strip off your 8 layers of clothing. I really wish I could have joined you in that freezing weather and rain. It honestly sounds like a splendid time! I'm not sure why you didn't have fun!