Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day Two, Number of Patients 345

Upon arriving at the clinic today we were meet with a line that stretched around the block.
As we got off the bus, we rolled up our sleeves and got down to business.
My 2nd day would be spent in the pharmacy again, my comfort level was continually on the rise there. I actually was learning the difference between Acetaminophen and Antacid, and just because they both start with A does not mean they are interchangeable. I was also learning about milligrams and dosage. It was really interesting.
Donna was in discharge and I got to listen in on some of her instruction to patients. After 1 month of no medical attention this is what a 15 year old girl was facing. It's hard to believe this started as a bug bite. Donna let her know in no uncertain terms that she would lose her foot if she did not take care of it. Of course Donna told her in a much nicer manner. I guess my bedside manner would need a little work if I plan to become the next Mother Theresa. There was a constant flow of patients until we took a break for lunch. Diabetes and parasites seemed to be the main diagnosis, but there were so many stories that words fail me.



No comments: