Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Final Day

I did so well in Ob-Gyn/Pediatrics that I am back in the pharmacy today. It was nice being among the patients, but I really think I would have been more help if I spoke Spanish. I mean how many times can a person say,"No hablo espanol"?

Outside the pharmacy there were 2 new wheelchairs to be given to 2 more patients in need. The Diamond's bought 6 wheelchairs in total throughout the entire mission.
One of the boys was perfectly normal 3 years ago. He was involved in a motorcycle accident and suffered permanent brain damage along with a spinal injury. His mother was overwhelmed by the selfless gesture of "Hands Across the Americas". It was such a moment that I felt I was intruding by taking photos. Donna saw her first leprosy patient, Hector was asked to assist with a difficult surgery, a woman was left displaced after guerrilla's killed her son and husband, a child whose eyes don't focus after a fall 10 months ago, a couple with HIV, a woman with a cancerous cyst the size of a basketball. The stories were many and filled with sorrow. It was an experience I will not soon forget.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So how many boxes of tissues did you go through during your trip?