Wednesday, February 11, 2009

City, State and Country

This was new to me, so I thought I'd share it with all my devoted readers. We all know South America is a Continent and Colombia is a Country. But did you know Santander is a state, and Bucaramanga and Giron are cities. Well... here we are in Giron celebrating the culture of the city. This starts with some speeches and a film. We then listen to the anthems, not just of the Country, but of the state and city. Now I am all for patriotism, but were all 5 verses of each anthem really necessary. Do you know your city's song? I felt like a little kid at midnight mass not believing Silent Night had that many verses. What seemed like an hour later we ate and watched the native dances of Colombia preformed by a group of the local students. This was very enjoyable and once the show was over we were all invited onto the dance floor to join in the festivities.Donna and Jose cut a beautiful rug. I am dancing with Sergio, he was our local affiliate who supplied all the translators for the entire mission. He runs a language school and assures me a job if I decide South America is calling me. He and his entire staff were
invaluable. We danced the night away. This road to sainthood is not half bad. haha











No comments: