Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New Position

We are starting our 4th day and headed to a new location. Today and Tomorrow we will be at Hospital del Norte UNIMIST. I also have a new location, after 3 days in the pharmacy, Giselle has put my in Ob-Gyn/Pediatrics. She wanted everyone to get a taste of everything, it also got me closer to the human side.
Basically, my duty here was to keep the patients in order and call them into the respective doctors office once the patient in front of them had exited the room. Easy enough, right. Well taking French in school, I was not familiar with the Spanish alphabet. J's are silent, G's are soft, double L's are Y's, e's are i's and the list continues. Also in the Latin American community they have 2 first names, as well as 2 last names. They keep their mothers surname as well as their fathers. So my calling patient names out became a free for all. I can only compare it to a substitute teacher doing role call and the entire class letting her know each and every mispronounced name. Id like to take this time to make amends to all those substitutes. I also had to keep seperate the Ob patients from the pediatric patients, add family practice patients to the lot and it would have helped to have 2 more hands. I was really missing the pharmacy about now.
Something anyone who goes to a South American country would be blind not to notice, is the woman there dress very differently than the women in the States. One of the doctors called it a breastfest. Not only is everyone in tank or stapless tops, they wear 3-5inch heels with everything. It is actually a very sexy look, no matter how impractical. I understand the small tops because of the heat, but the heels, I don't know that I'll ever get.

No comments: