Monday, June 8, 2009

Take Me Out To The Ball Game.

All of the Colonel's children were taught baseball at a very young age. The older 4 grew up on the "Angels" in California, and the younger 4 with the Baltimore Orioles. Kathy, Brian and Jimmy actually were bat kids for the Orioles. Now this was back in the day when you could take a family of 4 to a ballgame for under 20.00. To take a family to a pro ball game now you need to get an advance on the next 2 paychecks. I think that is very sad, because when I was younger I remember it being a very special treat. Dad taught us how to keep score the old fashion way. Of course all I remember now is K=Struck out and E=Error. You hated putting those marks on your team's score card.

Well Saturday night Terry and I went to see the Bowie Baysox. I was a little hesitant at first, because it was "Super Hero" night and I thought every screaming meanie in the tri-state area would be in attendance. We talked briefly about going to see a movie, but it was so nice out we decided to give the ball game a shot. The evening was made to order. Tickets were only $14.00, and Terry may have gotten a senior citizen discount, which put his ticket at $9.00. Our seats were 3rd row, in between home plate and 3rd base. The perfect seats for a foul ball broken nose. The Baysox won 10-6, and it was the best time I've had at a ball game in some time. What I love about the Baysox is they still play with their hearts instead of their wallets. They go that extra step to make a play, unlike the multi-million dollar player, who don't worry about stoping short. What do they care that you've just spent $200.00 to have your family of four watch them play. Their paycheck is guarenteed. Anyway... my point is, the game was baseball how it should be played, with heart.
Oh did I mention, Terry and I had a hotdog, popcorn, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream and bottled water served by the Arundel HighSchool Band, for less than 15.00. And you just haven't lived until you've seen college kids in padded "SuperHero" costumes.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I love that park! When we lived nearby I would ride my bike to the game by myself, then "splurge" on a front row seat. You can hear every word! Remember that my hives are very close to there so always look into the soda can before you sip!