Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Giddy Up!

At the end of August I will be heading to a "Dude Ranch" in Wyoming. Another check on my bucket list. I am going with my hairdresser, who is young enough to be my daughter, and parties like I used to. Of course if she was my daughter she would not be joining me, she would be on restriction, but I digress.
For the preparation of this trip, I have been taking horseback riding lessons.
Now I used to ride. So what if it was 42 years ago, how much can change in 42 years?
When I did ride, it was "Western", now 42 years later, I'm riding "English". These are 2 totally different styles, with or without 42 years. From saddles to bridles everything is different. Have I mentioned how long it's been?
I've been taking lessons since May, every Tuesday morning at 7:00am. Now I don't just show up and climb on the horse. I curry brush, to loosen dirt. Soft brush to remove dirt, Clean all 4 hooves, to make sure there is no debris from a previous rider. All this usually takes about 15-35 minutes depending on whether or not my horse rolled around in the mud the night before Needless to say, you don't wear your favorite outfit, or anything white. Now I put on the the saddle pad, saddle, girth, and the bridle. This can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes, depending on how co-operative the horse is. It usually takes me the full 20 minutes.  After all this the lesson begins.......

1 comment:

Rachel said...

And where might the pictures be showing all of this intense preparation??