Monday, September 28, 2009

Rider Down

The first night at dinner I was seated across from a gentleman named Mike. He was not a rider in the van because he came out a day early. Come to find out he works at AACC, and lives in Severna Park. What are the chances? We talked about everything Maryland and said our good nights.
Monday morning we saddle up and take our rides into the ring, so the cowboys can measure our skills and make sure we have the right horse. Well, I am riding right behind Mike when all of the sudden his horse starts bucking. I don't mean just one kick with the back legs, his horse must have kicked six or seven times. If the 8 second clock was running he may have won a prize.
As it was, he fell on the horn of the saddle on the first buck, the second he was leaning sideways probably from the impact of the first landing. The third buck he was way over, but still holding on then finally fell or jumped right into the fence.

Being the ever vigilant blogger I got these 2 shot, but I felt a little paparazzish, so then I asked if I could help. He stayed down for about 60 seconds, got up, tried to walk it off, but was in obvious pain, so headed to the closest clinic 45 minutes away. Now Mike was an experienced rider, this was his 2nd trip to the Ranch. I'm beginning to second guess my one day a week, English riding lessons.
After going to the clinic, getting some "don't take while riding horses" pain pills, Mike decided to catch a flight home on Tuesday. I think his final diagnosis was fractured pelvis, bruised ribs and total disappointment.
After all the drama of the morning was over we went on a slow, cautious trail ride. The country is so expansive out west. Miles and miles of nothing but view. Now that is fine for a week, but when you want to run to the store for some little necessity, like Ben & Jerry, and have to drive 45 minutes one way, I just think that would get old after a while. You need to be a certain kind of person to enjoy that type of solitude.

No comments: