Monday, January 25, 2010

BEAR 1996-January 22, 2010


I lost my 14year old, "Bear" last Friday. I have been mentally preparing myself for the last few months for Bear's walk over "Rainbow Bridge", but is anyone ever really ready?
His jumping up on the spare bed stopped about 6 months ago, but that was easily remedied with plush blankets on the floor that he could mold into his own design. The steps became more difficult for him as time passed. No matter how painful or how long it took to climb them, he would never think of leaving me up there by myself. I put a water bowl upstairs to limit his trips during the evening hours. The meds he was on made him very thirsty.
I always knew he would tell me when the time came, we had long talks about it. I always thought when he stopped eating, that would be the time. I never thought his legs would betray him first.

I brought the gang into the shop on Thursday morning with no problems although Bear was a little hesitant in his jump into the back of my Element that morning. I didn't give it much thought at the time, because I've been spotting him for the past 4 months. By the end of the day he couldn't stand up. Kris and I were scheduled to start a Quilting Class that evening, so she was here to help me put him in the car. When we got to the house he still could not stand up. We feed him, and made sure he was comfortable, then headed to dinner, then class. Throughout the evening my thoughts were always of Bear, the class could not be over soon enough.

On arriving home, Bear had not moved from where he was left. I went upstairs got the flannel sheets and blankets and made up a bed right next to him. If he couldn't make it upstairs, I could certainly bring a bed to him downstairs. I fell asleep trying to breathe in his smell , remember how his fur was always so soft, especially his ears.

The next morning Bear was still unable to stand. I don't know what I thought would happen. I've been so used to being awaken by his gentle ruffs to let me know "It's time for breakfast".

I held the water bowl for him so he could rid himself of morning mouth, he drank long, as if he knew it would be his last drink. I then dragged him outside on the blanket we slept on, put a towel under his belly and held him up so he could get rid of the massive amount of water he just drank. He fell as soon as he finished. I then called Donna to see if she could swing by to help me put Bear in the car, and so she could say her good bye. Bear loved Donna.

On the way to the Vet, I stopped at Ellen and Lenny's house, so they could say their goodbyes. Ellen and Lenny took care of Harper and Bear whenever I went away. Bear loved them both very much. I have now managed to leave a trail of tears all the way to the vet's office.
When I arrived I asked if they would come out to the car to put Bear to sleep. The back of my car has dog beds in it, and I did not want Bear's last memory to be of a cold steel table. I drove my car around back and waited for Dr. Alexander. He first came and gave Bear a sedative, I only had about 10 minutes to thank Bear for being the "Worlds Greatest Dog" and to make him promise to let me know he was okay. There just wasn't enough time to thank him for everything he did for me. He went quickly and peacefully and died with my arms around him. I miss him very much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The knot in my throat won't go away yet- I cannot imagine how you still feel. With each deep sigh and exhale please know my arm is around you and I am sending good mojo for you.
I loved the 'ol man- thanks for bringing him into my life.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

I'll always have treats in my pocketses.

Rachel said...

Well that story brought me to tears. Just what I needed! You are in my thoughts! I'm so sorry for your loss.