Friday, January 15, 2010

Realistic Goals

I for one, do not make New Years Resolutions. I think it sets one up for disappointment. I do however set goals, but they must be realistic. The reason I bring all this up is because I just saw, "Julie & Julia". Julie has set a goal for her self to cook 524 recipe's from Julia Child's cookbook in 365 days. Okay, by my calculations that is a meal and a half a day, everyday, for,well, 365 days.
Julie also has a full time job, the kind of job that would make me suicidal at the end of each and every day. She has a husband, who seems (on screen anyway) very supportive and understanding, and a cat. I know each of us is different, but I definitely lack the discipline to do anything for 365 days, add going to the grocery store everyday to make sure my ingredients were as fresh as possible, and I would not have gotten through the first week. Who am I kidding? I would have been lucky to get through the first meal, and it would have had to have chocolate in it. The movie didn't go into the amount of money that was spent, or the amount of weight that was gained. Of course after cooking these meals, she then blogged about her experience. Holy Moly. I've often wondered how Rachel and Sara find the time to blog with 2 children. For Christmas next year I am sending them each the thickest cookbook I can find. I admire Julie's discipline, but I will continue to pop my "Smart Ones" in the microwave. I wonder if browning hamburger meat for the dogs could get me a movie deal?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Julia?
Is she related to Martha?
I didn't know you had a kitchen. I'm glad you don't set goals- that's for when you're 20. At our age, we can finally laugh every time we make a mistake and say "I knew that!"

So glad you're a bloggin'again- I wish I was as clever as you.

xoxo
Winslow's mom

Rachel said...

I'll take the largest cookbook you can find! I love keeping dust collectors around the house!!