Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chuck Wagon


After a Saturday of sister bonding, Kris and I are back on the road with our precious cargo for home. Part of the mission for this trip, aside from bringing mom's stuff down, was to pick up Kathy and Kelly's pups to take care of while they are cruising the Mediterranean. What's wrong with that picture?
So with Sami and Chloe in tow we are back on the road at 6:45am. I take the first turn behind the wheel, because mornings are when I shine. Well without coffee I only shined for the first 100 miles. We stopped at a rest area, so Kris could take over and we could give the pups a walk.
Kathy had forewarned us that Chloe needed to focus when she went out, so I took Sami one way, and Kris & Chloe went the other. We meet in the middle and walked back to the car together. On the walk back Chloe found a delightful scent to roll in. We didn't think much about it until we got back in the car. Now "The Chuck Wagon" on it's best day, has that lingering wet dog smell. Add freshly rolled in dog poop and you've got yourself a gag cocktail.
Now even with my well adjusted to dog smells nose, I knew this was not going to make the next 530 miles possible. We are now back on the road, so I climb into the back seat, and on closer inspection find Chloe's harness is cover in eau de poopfume. So there I am, feet dangling over the passenger seat, full body stretched over the crates, trying to undo the door which is facing the tailgate. Lots of trucks honking during this little maneuver. I remove the harness and wrap it in a poop pouch. At the next gas fill up, Kris buys hand sanitizer and sodas and off we go. The rest of the trip in comparison was uneventful. Thank you Baby Jesus.
Kris get us home safely, helps me bring all the paraphernalia in, then she head home while I start laundry for Chloe's harness and put Chloe in the sink for her bath. It's going to be a long 2 weeks.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Geez, that story makes me jealous that I wasn't with you two!