Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Road To Hana


When I first knew I was going to see Rachel with Kris, I planned a 4 day excursion to Maui. I talked to all my friend who had been there and got the scoop on what not to miss. I booked 3 tours ahead of time, so as not to be left out on any of these breathtaking wonders. My 1st tour was called, "The Road to Hana".The tour van picked me up at my hotel at 6:30am, and I probably wouldn't be returning until 7:00pm. It's gonna be a long day. This was basically a tour of the entire Island, but there is one section, 68 miles long, that consists of 620 curves, 59 bridges, 49 of them are one lane. This portion of the road alone takes around 3 hours to complete.Believe me when I tell you this would be a cyclist's hell. We were in a 20 seat van, so the turns were either too close to the side of the mountain or inches from the on coming traffic. May I just say, "thank the Baby Jesus I was not at the wheel". Our guide said most tourist that start the drive end up turning around. Where they find enough space to turn around was another question all together.
We did find some space to pull over, never mind taking your life in your hands to walk to whatever the view was offering, but the outcome was always well worth it. Rainbow trees, Jaws Beach, where the largest waves on the North Shore have been riden by extreme surfers, and sections of the lushiest rain forest on the entire island

1 comment:

Sara said...

Love the photos!!! Absolutely gorgeous!