Sunday, September 26, 2010

Saddle Up


After the spiritual uplifting of the sunrise I am ready to roll. We head down the mountain about 1000 ft. in the van, something about too many accidents on National Park property to start at the very top. Great a few dead people have to ruin it for everyone else......anyway.

So what we are using for bikes are basic heavy steel framed bikes, no gears, just brakes. But when you are only going downhill, what more do you need? I am psyched, downhill is my friend. 38 miles of nothing but speed. NOT!!!! We had to stay behind the tour leader, who keep a nice pace, but a few in the group were not very experienced bikers. They braked the whole way down. I asked if I could just meet them at the bottom, but OH! NO!, I had to stay with the group. Ho Hum. It was still a blast, albeit a safe one. We stopped for breakfast and to peel off some of our layers. Because our group was so small we finished at 9:30am instead of the usual 1:00pm. I changed to an earlier flight back to Oahu. After 3 non-stop days of adventure I was looking forward to getting back on schedule with Rachel's girls. I missed my naps.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm a little curious to know what would've happened had you gone ahead of the pack at you own speed anyway. Not given you a ride back to your hotel? The sunrise pictures are pretty!