Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Funniest Day of the Trip


Each day on this trip has been fun-filled, but I have to say the day we went to Waikiki was the funniest. Rachel took us to the lagoon. We found the last available palm tree that would offer us a little shade. I don't think we had all the blankets down before Riley was in the water and Hadley was eating sand. After Rachel came back from her 5 mile jaunt with lunch, I decided Kris and I should rent a paddle boat and get a little exercise in. I figure we both could paddle 30 minutes, no sweat. Of course they only had hourly rental. We'll take it. We don't get 10 feet and we both realize something is wrong with the steering mechanism. We can only move in a straight line by peddling backwards. Of course this send us into hysterics. For the first 15 minutes we have tried everything to correct the problem, except for trading our malfunctioning flotilla in. We have been going in circles and I just looked at Kris and said, "45 minutes of fun left". Both of us start laughing until we're crying. Now we back our way towards Riley who is standing on the edge of the water probably thinking, "Please don't come any closer, I don't want people to know were related". No such luck. Kris hops off the boat as gracefully as one can and goes to get Riley. The little angel puts up with our nonsense long enough to go to the waterfall and back. I don't blame her. Kris walks her safely back to shore and now the fun begins. Kris has to reboard with as much finesse as possible. I am only sorry that I don't have any photos of this maneuver. The lagoon is really not that large of a space. We have gotten very close to the beach in order to drop Riley off, backwards mind you, so we pretty much have the attention of the entire beach. Kris is now waste deep in water and must jump onto the paddle boat without capsizing me. She has to do all this with us both laughing so hard we can't catch our breath. Every time she tries we just crack up again. I kept telling her not to worry about everyone watching. The dolphins did it while we were watching, pretend your a dolphin. It was truly the most I laughed in a long time. Kris did it on her third try after she stopped laughing. I'm only sorry I didn't have a fish to give her......and now we have just enough time to return the boat.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Funniest. Day. Ever! I wish I had snapped a picture of my mom trying to get back on that paddle boat, but I was laughing too hard!

Sara said...

God I love those crying laughter moments. I wish I could have been there to join in.