Saturday, October 9, 2010

Baby Steps

From the trail head to the summit of Diamond Head Crater it is only 0.8 miles one way, and the climb is 560 feet. The switchback portion was easy and then come the steps. There are 3 separate sets of steps. When we get to the first set I just sorta groan then head up, but not
before I ask everyone to turn around and smile. This climb was 74 concrete steps.
The next set of steps came very soon after the first set. This set was 99 steep steps. My groan was much louder than the first time, but up we go. Now comes the spiral staircase, 52 metal steps. Spiral Stairs are fine when people are just going one way, but when they are coming down while you are going up it gets a little tricky. Oh! did I mention, we are up really high at this point. Getting a shot of this stairwell while it was empty was no easy feat. I am still trying to imagine all this with Riley and Hadley.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I remember walking down that spiral staircase holding Hadley. There were a million people coming up and nobody was moving out of my way(as I am holding a sleeping baby). So Trey came up and cleared the way for me! The steps were deadly!