Saturday, October 9, 2010

Speaking of Diamonds


It is our last day in Oahu, and since Trey is walking wounded, Rachel has offered to take us to Diamond Head for our trek to the top. On Kris's last visit she tackled Koko, and after seeing that climb I was glad that we were doing Diamond Head. Once we got to the parking lot it was full, so Rachel decided to drop us off and take the girls for a ride. I told her to give us about 2 hours. Walking through the parking lot there were 5 empty handicapped spaces. Now I am all for the Disabilities Act, but come on this is Diamond Head, 5 spaces seemed a little excessive.

Kris and I start the climb and passed a couple, I asked how long it took them, and the guy said, " We did it in an hour, but we were really moving". Kris and I just smiled and continued on.
Now I have been on some climbs before where I have to grab my knees every few minutes to catch my breath. This was not one of those climbs. The switchbacks made the trek fairly level with a slight incline.
This photo is taken at the 1/2 way point. We found some Asian girls to take our photo.
This was the first of about 20. This with Kris and I. Then with Kris and I and 1 of the girls, then with Kris and I and the 2nd girl, Kris and I with the 3rd girl, Kris and I with all 3. Dear Baby Jesus, you would have thought we were world renowned climbers and having a photo taken with us would cement their popularity back home. I am not counting this as my 15 minutes of fame.

No comments: