Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Weekend Worries

Recently a good friend of mine got divorced. She has been living separately from her ex for approximately 2 years. When she asked me to testify for her at court, I didn't hesitate. She was there for me throughout my separation and divorce. Divorce is nothing, if not sad. No one knows that as well as someone who goes through it.
Before the proceeding my friend's ex, armed with a Bible, walked by Karen's mom, Gloria (another close friend), and myself all seated outside the courtroom. He thanked us all for ruining his marriage. None of us responded, it wasn't worth a reply, besides safety in numbers and we're in a courthouse.
2 maybe 3 weeks go by, and the ex shows up at Woofs & Whiskers. He hangs outside for about 5 minutes, walking back and forth in front of the shop. I give Karen a call and tell her that her ex is outside, should I call the police. Well luckily I have 2 female attorneys in my shop who offer to hang around until the problem is settled.
Now let me tell you a little about Karen's ex. I don't think he's had a hair cut in the 2 years since Karen left him, and I know he hasn't shaven. He is Greek so has that olive coloring that I usually find so attractive in men, but without the upkeep he looks like someone straight from a terrorist cell. He also should be medicated for his erratic behavior, and that is not something I say lightly. He is a wicky-wack, and the divorce seems to have put his condition in fast forward.
Okay, so now he walks back to his van, and I think crisis averted. The lawyers make their purchase, and here comes the ex again. I ask the ladies to stay until he leaves, they agree. Well the ex hands me something that he thinks is mine and says he wants it out of his house. I explain to him that it belongs to Karen, but I will see that she gets it. No problem, I think the exchange is over. Then with a malice that I have never felt, he screams,"Thanks for ruining my marriage". I of course tell him, "Anything I can do to help". He leaves after mumbling something under his breath. I thank the attorneys for hanging out, then they leave. A minute later one of the attorney's came back in with her phone number in case anything were to happen to me. Nothing has.
The reason I'm posting this now is because Karen has asked that we all get together this weekend, to move her remaining possessions from her ex's house to my basement until she finds a permanent residence. As her friend, I will be there for her, but I can tell you right now I am not looking forward to another run in with OSAMA.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

what an uplifting entry. i sure do hope you post more entries like this. what a psycho...be careful!
xoxo, rachel