Monday, February 2, 2009

Donna Gets Busted

Okay, so we make it to Panama, it's about 1:15pm. Now, throughout the entire getting ready for this trip, Donna would joke."that we are the only people smuggling drugs into Colombia". Well guess who's bags got searched in Panama. I thought it was so funny I asked the uniformed gentleman doing the searching if I could take a picture. Of course speaking nada Spanish, I used the universal sign language of camera in hand and pointed to the open drug bag for an okay. He shook his head in the universal yes sign, so I snap away. No sooner do I take the 2nd photo than someone of obvious authority comes up and shakes her head in the universal no, so I delete the 2nd photo in front of her, little did she know about the 1st photo. After Jose gives me a short talking to about never taking pictures in the customs area, we recheck our bags and continue our journey. Nothing like a little excitement to get the blood flowing. We're now off to Bogota, then on to Bucaramunga. When we get to the airport at our final destination, Giselle, the leader of the mission, has an army of her friend and family at the airport to take us all to our base camp for the extension of our stay. Checking in 16 hours after our departure was such a relief that when I was charged 200 million something or others for our room, I didn't bat an eye. Decline didn't come up when they ran my card, and just think of the points. That night I slept like a baby.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That picture is priceless!! Too funny!! The bag search would only happen to you and your friends. Nothing like a little adventure to start your big adventure!