Monday, October 5, 2009

Rude Awakening


The last thing I remember before my head hit the pillow, was Karen setting her cell phone to wake us at 7:30am.  Well at about 3:00am I heard this chirp.  Now, have you ever been in such a sound sleep that a noise becomes part of your dream?  Well that's what happened until about the 4th chirp.  I just thought, man Karen's cell phone has a loud alarm, and it goes off at such long intervals.   Even Karen, with her earplugs in, woke up, so I know it's not a dream any more.  Karen figured out it was the smoke detector. I'm still in a fog, trying to smell smoke.  Karen has thrown my suitcase on top of this chest directly under the smoke detector and is trying to unscrew the device from the ceiling.  The chirp is going off at 25 second intervals, Karen can't loosen it and I am fully awake now.  After  15 minutes, even with her bike tools, Karen decides to call maintenance.  Now this is a B&B, so it was probably the daughter of the owners.  30 minutes later we are back to sleep, but not before Karen has dubbed the dead battery, "The Chirp of Death".

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That happened to me about a month ago in our house. I carried a chair upstairs and took out the battery, but the chirp wouldn't stop. Apparently it doesn't stop until you put in a new battery so I got to hear the chirp from 6am until about 6pm when Trey got home.