Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Om Ar Hung


I have started a Tibetan Buddhist Meditation class. There are probably as many schools of thought on meditation as there are people in the universe. I have done meditation before, but I never had the discipline to make it part of my daily routine. I don't know what makes me think that this class will be different.
So here I am, week 2 of TBM and we are focusing on our breathing and mind. Inhale through the nose Om, let the air flow through Ar, exhale through the nose Hung. After 5 minutes of this, I am in a very peaceful state. It is impossible to think of anything else when you are so completely concentrating on breathing and Om, Ar, Hung. In with the good air, out with the bad.
Next... everyone is to concentrate on an emotion. I pick happiness. If I want to concentrate on anger or sadness I can call a family member. This is my "Happy Place". The women next to me just buried her husband yesterday, and of course, focuses on sadness. By minute 2 she begins crying and her sniffling is disrupting my "Happy Place". After the 5 minutes we have a question/answer period. The big cry baby begins to tell the story of losing her husband and my "Happy Place" is beginning to build a resentment wall. Now don't get me wrong. I am very sympathetic to losing a loved one, but don't they have a grief management group for that? I am here to find relaxation, sort of a respite from the real world. If I want to hear sad stories I can stay at work for an extra hour, or go back to AA meetings. Anyway 3 more weeks for "Enlightenment".

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll help you find a happy place when you come see me in Hawaii! Oh, and it won't be from sleeping in my bed!!

Rachel said...

Ok, so I just re-read my comment and it sounds a little perverted to me. Anyway, I just meant you'll be happy while you vacation in paradise. And you'll not be taking over my bedroom like my previous visitors. There, that sounds better! XOXO

Sara said...

HAHA Rach! I laughed at your first comment too! I have to agree with you Terry, your class should be a happy place. I can't calm my head much these days. Maybe I'll have time some day to do it. I've heard it's awesome! Good luck

Donna said...

Next time take a happy meal with you and when she starts that boohooing just shove a french fry in her nose.
I am empathetic, arn't I?