Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lecture Series


A friend of mine bought tickets for the "Baltimore Speaker Series". She has seen a number of interesting people speak, and asked if I would like to join her for Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of "Eat, Love, Pray".
I jumped at the offer. I picked Katie up at Mercy Hospital where she works,and we headed to Little Italy.

I have not been to Little Italy since Rachel's rehearsal dinner, and it has changed so much. Velleggio's is now closed. Can you believe it? After 40 years......anyway.
We had dinner at Amecci's, and dessert at Viccarro's.

Elizabeth Gilbert was delightful. I was a little worried because my attention span is not what it used to be. She had me spellbound from the moment she started. Sometime writers only have success on paper, their speaking skills are not quite as honed. This was not the case with Ms. Gilbert. She basically talked about her childhood, adding the perfect amount of anecdotes along the way. I liked her after reading "Eat, Love, Pray", now I really like her. She related that nothing could have prepared her for the success of the book and movie. She also felt bad that she could not help everyone who has ask for a part of her since the release.
During the question-answer period, she remained posed and answered the questions as best she could. She is my new best friend.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You should read her second novel. It's great too. Committed I think it's called.