Thursday, January 27, 2011

Are You Excited?

I never really get excited about going on a trip until I am on the plane. There is so much to do before locking up the house. Packing is usually a pain, but because I am packing summer wear, I just had to go into my spare closet and get whatever I wanted to wear out.
The real nemesis of this trip has been the weather. I always give the pups a bath before they go to stay at their designated families house. Because I have Scout now, they are going to 2 different homes. Ellen and Lenny always took care of Harper and Bear, but they have not had a chance to meet Scout yet, and they have a dog of their own. No sense in ruining a friendship.
Yesterday they were calling for snow, but not until late afternoon. I went to get my hair and nails done, and had every intention of taking the pups to "Muddy Paws". Muddy Paws is this great place you can take your pups and have them bathed or bathe them yourself. This is a shot before their bath. Notice how calm and unsuspecting they look.


Even when Old English Sheepdogs are in there shortest coat, they are a handful in the tub. The nice thing about taking them to Muddy Paws is you use their towels, their shampoo, their water, and their blow drier, which I should add is so strong you can actually see the water spray off the coat when you use it. They also have staff that could wash one while I take care of the other. I get to Muddy Paws around 3:00, still wearing flip-flop, so I don't smudge my "Passion Pink" toenails. I arrive to a closed due to the weather sign. #*@^! So now a 2 hour job turns into the rest of Wednesday. I am not happy. You probably are asking why I waited so long. In this type of weather if I bathed the pups last week, because of the mud and damp ground, you would never have known by drop off date.

Scout is first in. This is the first bath I have given him, but was certainly not his first bath. He was so calm, I actually think he was enjoying himself, but hey, what guy wouldn't like getting lathered up by me. Shampoo, rinse, condition, rinse, dry off, shake water on any wall within a mile radius, towel dry again, start to blow dry and comb out. 2 hours later start on Harper, repeat. While Harper was in the shower I got a phone call between the conditioning and rinse cycle. It was mistake answering that call. Harper was still soaked and took off down stairs. So now not only are all the walls wet, Harper has drenched the carpet with her Ugg like wet paws. I have to drag her back up the steps and pull my back out. Find a happy place, find a happy place. 3 hours later both Harper and Scout are partially dry, but fresh as daisies. I, on the other hand, have swallowed 4 Alleve, washed down 10 walls, vacuumed the entire house, put 16 towels in the washer, and gone to bed with a heating pad. This is why I don't get excited until I am the plane.

No comments: